Disney Africa has announced the launch of the Mickey the True Original campaign, honouring nine decades of Mickey Mouse.
18 November 2018 marks 90 years since his first appearance in Steamboat Willie in November 1928, and a series of world-wide celebrations honouring his heritage, personality and status as a pop-culture icon will be taking place this year.
The Mickey the True Original campaign will come to life with events that embrace Mickey’s impact on the past, present and future. The local festivities kick off in September, leading up to Mickey’s 90th anniversary on 18 November 2018 and include:
- An exclusive local design project where ten highly talented South African artists will apply their own inspiration and artistic interpretation on six-foot Mickey Mouse statues. Once revealed to the public, the statues will form part of the Mickey the True Original South African Exhibition, inspired by Mickey’s status as a ‘true original’ and his global impact on popular culture. The exhibition will travel to three cities:
- Jo’burg: Sandton City, Centre Court: 28 September – 14 October
- Durban: Gateway Theatre of Shopping, Expo Explore Court: 19 October – 11 November
- Cape Town: Canal Walk Shopping Centre, Centre Court: 16 November – 26 November
- The Unlocking the Imagination campaign, in which fans are encouraged to visit Edgars and Samsung stores, take a selfie with a giant Mickey plush toy using their Samsung Galaxy Note9, and then stand a chance to win not only a giant Mickey plush, but also an international family trip. Visit Samsung.com for more information
- Mickey’s 90th Spectacular, a two-hour prime-time special, will be screened on M-Net 101 later this year. The elegant affair will feature star-studded musical performances, moving tributes and never-before-seen short films. Superstars from music, film and television will join the birthday fun for the internationally beloved character.
- Discovery Vitality and Disney will celebrate healthy, happy families this festive season by offering helpful and exciting tips and tricks on how to eat nutritious, yet delicious, foods, all inspired by Mickey. There’s also a trip to Disneyland Paris up for grabs. Log on to discovery.co.za/vitality for information.
Mickey the True Original also on DStv
“Binding generations together more than any other animated character, Mickey Mouse is the ‘true original’ who reminds people of all ages of the benefits of laughter, optimism and hope,” says Christine Service, Senior Vice President and Country Manager of The Walt Disney Company Africa. “With his universal appeal and ability to emotionally connect with generations all over the world, no other character quite occupies a similar space in the hearts and minds of a global fan base and we are thrilled to be sharing these local festivities.”
Mickey’s birthday is celebrated in honour of the release of his first theatrical film, Steamboat Willie, on 18th November 1928, at the Colony Theatre in New York City. Since then, he has starred in more than 100 cartoons and can currently be seen on Disney Channel (DStv, Channel 303) in the Mickey Mouse cartoon series and on Disney Junior (DStv, Channel 309) in Mickey and the Roadster Racers.
Interact: South African fans are encouraged to share their Mickey the True Original moments on social media using the hashtag #Mickey90Africa.
What: Disney Africa Mickey the True Original campaign, Nine decades of Mickey Mouse