With Easter weekend around the corner, Spier Wine Farm in Stellenbosch has come up with 10 things to do on Easter weekend with kids. Think: Easter egg hunts, Easter picnic, grape juice tasting, a spit braai dinner, visiting the dancing owls at Eagle Encounters and more.
Here’s 10 fun Spier Easter things to do
- Inspired by the delicious bounty of the sea and the richness of Cape Malay culinary heritage, this feast on Good Friday, Friday 19 April 2019 features braaied snoek, mouthwatering mussels and seasonal salads. https://www.spier.co.za/events
- See the dancing owls at the Eagle Encounters, a bird-of-prey rehabilitation and conservation project, which also hosts daily flying displays.
- While the adults indulge in a chocolate and wine tasting of Creative Block blends, the little ones can enjoy a grape juice tasting and learn about the farm with an educational colouring sheet.
- Farmer Angus’s pasture-reared favourites from the fire take centre stage at the Easter Spit Braai Dinner Buffet on Saturday, 20 April. There’ll also be seasonal salads and freshly baked bread and cinnamon buns. Go hungry! https://www.spier.co.za/events/easter-spit-braai-dinner-buffet
- Admire some art: Amongst many noteworthy works and installations, there’s an interactive musical rock sculpture installation, The Songsmith, which plays music when the rocks are stroked. The children will be enchanted! They’re also welcome to visit the Spier Artisan Studio, where mosaic artisans showcase their work in progress.
- Shop for souvenirs: The Craft Market sells local woodwork, beaded items and ceramics – all handmade.
- Take part in the Spier Easter Egg Hunt around the restored historic farmyard at the Werf on Sunday 21 April at 11am. Explore the beautiful lawns and buildings or search the food garden for hidden delights.
Kids joining their parents for Easter lunch at Spier join the hunt for free. If you are just joining in for the hunt, children under 5 pay R50, while those aged 6 to 12 pay R100. https://www.spier.co.za/events/easter-egg-hunt
- Spend Easter Sunday with your loved ones at Spier. Choose between a hearty, farm-to-table lunch at Eight, a braaied lunch in the Manor House Courtyard, or an Easter picnic on the Werf lawns. There are specially-designed kiddies menus. Kids booking for set lunches can join in the Easter Egg Hunt at 11am for free. https://www.spier.co.za/events
- Explore the Spier farm on a Segway. Want to give your teens a taste of the fast lane? They’re guaranteed to love this: it’s undoubtedly the coolest way to do a breezy lap around the farm. On this glide past pastures and vineyards against the backdrop of the soaring Helderberg, you’ll also learn about Spier’s natural farming practices. 021 809 1157 www.segwaytours.co.za
- Head home with hot cross buns from Vadas Smokehouse & Bakery. Lightly spiced, filled with mixed dried fruit and glazed with a sticky syrup, these fluffy, soft buns are a special addition to the bakery menu during April. Buy 5 and get 1 free.
Linger longer for less!
Maybe treat the family to an Easter weekend on the farm? Stay three nights at Spier Hotel, and save 20% from R1100 per room per night (comp bottle of wine). Not only do kids under 12 stay free, but while Mom and Dad relax at the Spa or at the pool, the little hotel guests are invited to hang out at the Kids’ Clubhouse, which has a programme packed with fun activities.