Artscape has decided to take its much anticipated Youth Jazz Festival 2020 completely online, including the audition process, due to lockdown challenges emanating from COVID-19.
The festival was launched in 2003, and has since grown to accommodate the enormous interest and exceptional talent of young jazz musicians in the Western Cape.
This year, instead of a live audition, the organisers will require aspiring participants to submit an audition video via online platforms. Musical Director, Amanda Tiffin will be leading a group of jazz musicians to act as mentors for these youths.
When the Jazz Festival takes place in October this year, successful participants will enjoy a week-long Masterclass online, while jazz lovers around the world will be able to watch their live performances on popular social media platforms for free.
Says Artscape CEO, Marlene le Roux: “Since the Youth Jazz Festival was established the focus of the programme has remained dedicated to providing skills development within the jazz genre to foster the investment of cultural democratization of our country. The Youth Jazz Festival is a stepping-stone that provides opportunities and access to significant role players in the industry. Artscape is honoured to present these young musicians.”
Youth Jazz Festival 2020 Audition Criteria
- NB: The age restriction is 27 years old in the year of participation
- We encourage scholars and informal music students to audition
- Music literacy is not essential. Candidates who only play by ear are most welcome
- Candidates must reside in the Western Cape
- A maximum of two 3-4 min audition video to be sent to contact person below by Friday 10 July 2020. (Please complete application form to also be emailed once you submit audition video
- Candidates must submit two songs/standards. Any jazz tune or standard is acceptable.
Youth Jazz Festival 2020 Participation Criteria
- Selected candidates will be contacted for a Zoom meeting with the Audition Panel for further audition performance
- A maximum of 15 minutes will be allocated per candidate
- All candidates must be available to attend online Master Classes during the week of Monday 14 September to Saturday 19 September 2020. These sessions will be set up and agreed upon by candidates and mentors once auditions are concluded
- All candidates must be available for all required online or studio rehearsals between August – October 2020 (These sessions will be set up and agreed upon by candidates and mentors)
- Successful applicants without access to Wi-Fi will be given cellphone data so they can attend the online Master Classes.
Below are the details to send Application Forms and Audition Videos
- Email Forms: firstname.lastname@example.org
- WhatsApp Audition Videos: 084 447 3516 (Please confirm name and surname) by Friday 10 July 2020.
NB: Completed application form to be emailed once audition video is submitted